Her


I finally watched the movie Her over the weekend and loved the shit out of it. The idea of falling in love with an operating system isn’t really all that far fetched if you think about it. How many times a day do people “fall in love” with someone’s profile? I mean, love is a strong word, but you know what I mean. The future is happening right now.
ANYWAY
Some of the final lines in the movie really struck a chord with me. (Spoiler alert, I guess)
Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix’s character) is breaking up with his OS because she has evolved and is moving on and growing and all that jazz and he says to her, “I’ve never loved anyone the way I love you.”
And her response is so lovely:
“Me to. Now we know how.
Isn’t that just beautiful?
It recognizes that all relationships are a learning opportunity and that even though some don’t work out, you come out the other side with more knowledge, no matter what. They taught each other how to love more deeply than they knew was possible. And in leaving that situation, she recognizes the importance of that.
I may or may not have wept at the end.
ANYWAY
A lot of people ask me how I am able to do online dating so much and I think one of the reasons is that rather than looking for “the one” or putting too much importance on any one particular interaction, I continue to look at it as one giant learning experience. I’m learning how to interact with different people. In the process, I’m also learning about how I prefer other people to interact with me and ways in which I can conduct myself to ensure that might happen. The point is: shifting your perspective just slightly about your desired outcome can do wonders to turn a situation around. Any situation, really.
But yeah - what a wonderful movie and what a superbly simple way to end it.
That is all.

Comments

Popular Posts